North Ridge. From here, one can look down on the massive Winslow vault or out across the Hudson River towards Troy. Near the top of the shaft is the family name "Strain." But the inscription that makes this rather obscure monument noteworthy is near the base on the south side. It reads FIRST INTERMENT IN THIS CEMETERY.
Although David died just seventeen days after the new Rural Cemetery was consecrated (October 7, 1844), he was not actually interred here until May of 1845. During the interval, it is likely that his body lay in the receiving vault of the old municipal burying grounds. At the time of burial, this section of the Cemetery was called Kennisau Hill, later to be renamed Lanscape Hill. It is now listed on maps as Section 76.
The Strain monument was the work of John Dixon whose marble works were located at the corner of Howard and Lodge Streets. The crispness of the white marble has somewhat darkened and blurred in the years since it was erected over the first grave in the Albany Rural Cemetery.