Saturday, August 11, 2012
Thomas and Elizabeth Beckett
The western edge of the North Ridge contains many graves privately transferred to the Rural Cemetery from the State Burying Grounds prior to the closure and mass removal of graves by the Albany Common Council in the late 1860s (see also the David Fonda stone).
This white marble headstone marks the relocated graves of Thomas and Elizabeth Beckett which were moved here from the Dutch Reformed Church's lot at the old Burying Grounds.
Elizabeth Beckett died in 1854 at the age of forty. Thomas died in 1862 at the age of forty-eight. According to the city directory, he was a grocer with an establishment on at the corner of Lumber Street (now Livingston Avenue) and Lark Street. Their home was a few blocks away at 104 Clinton Avenue.
The Beckett headstone is a simple rectangle of white marble which features some of the loveliest carved roses in the Cemetery. The flowers and leaves are very details with two open blooms and one rose hip berry. The style is not too unlike the roses carved on the broken stone of Elizabeth Ann in the nearby Church Grounds and may even be the work of the same stone-cutter.