This majestic sarcophagus-style monument stands in an old section of the South Ridge (once called Roseland Hill) and marks the grave of Archibald McIntyre.
McIntyre was born in Kenmore, Scotland on June 1, 1772. His family emigrated to America when he was just two years old and he began a long political career while in his early twenties.
McIntyre held a number of offices including State Assemblyman representing Montgomery County (for seven terms between 1798 and 1821), Deputy Secretary of State, and New York State Comptroller (1806 to 1821).
With Henry Yates, whose hillside crypt overlooks Consecration Lake, he purchased the Ithaca and Owego Railroad which later became part of the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad.
McIntyre was also an original trustee of the Rural Cemetery.
The namesake of the McIntyre Mountains in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks, he died on May 6, 1858. His monument was the work of Robert E. Launitz and was described in an early guidebook as being a "superior speciman" of the sculptor's work.
This tiny coffin-style gravestone is also located in the McIntyre family lot.