Saturday, January 23, 2016
Cemetery Lane, 1907
A rather clever postcard was printed to look like birch bark that was peeled back to reveal an image of Cemetery Lane (now Cemetery Avenue). It is, of course, the approach to the Albany Rural Cemetery (and St. Agnes Cemetery) from the main gate on Broadway.
Postmarked 1907, it shows the Avenue before the installation of the current fence which lines both sides and before disease wiped out the rows of elm trees.
The card was mailed from Albany on July 2 and address to a Miss Lila C. Ritter in Alder Creek, Oneida County. A little research shows that Miss Ritter graduated from Boonville High School two years later and became a teacher until she married Loren Yerdon in 1915 The Yerdons lived on a farm in Steuben County, but later moved back to Alder Creek. She passed away on September 10, 1971 at the age of 82.
There is no note on the card and the sender didn't sign his or her name, though there are two sets of initials inked on the lower edge and "Cemetery Lane, Albany" is written in pencil on the reverse.