This sandstone obelisk marks the grave of Thomas Bayeux, a co-founder and captain of a private military company called the Albany Burgesses Corps. According to the Bi-centennial History of Albany, the Corps were organized on October 8, 1833 and took their name from the early governors. They took part in their first parade on Independence Day the following year and also took part in the procession to the Rural Cemetery for its dedication in 1844.
One side of this monument features the State coat of arms and reads:
Erected by the
Albany Burgesses Corps
To Capt. Thomas Bayeux
To commemorate his worth
As a Man and his merits as a
Soldier and Commander.
The reverse (shown above) reads:
Captain Thomas Bayeux
Born in Poughkeepsie, Dutchess County, N.Y.
Died June 4, 1844
Aged 41 years, 6 months and 20 days.
The dedication of this stone brought a large gathering of Albany residents, as well as past and present members of the Corps and a band to the Cemetery by a special train.
This monument was an early piece by James Gazeley, a prominent stonecutter whose business was located at the Cemetery. Gazeley, who is buried on the South Ridge near the main lodge, was best known for his granite work.